DevOps Engineer / Senior DevOps Engineer
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
SATAVIA is bringing innovation to the aviation industry via data science and machine learning. We are helping to make decision making in aviation smarter and greener, using ground-breaking techniques to do so.
Our DECISIONX technology platform enables airline companies, aerospace OEMs and MROs to reduce aviation’s impact on climate, to monitor aircraft condition more effectively while optimising engine performance, and to reduce the contribution of aircraft contrail formation to human-induced global warming.
We have already built an exceptional team, combining talent in artificial intelligence, data science, data and software engineering, and atmosphere and climate science.
Supported by Microsoft in the UK and France through its involvement in the AI Factory – part of Microsoft for Start-ups, we are already working with the likes of Rolls-Royce and GKN Aerospace to tackle real-world aerospace issues.
We’re looking for passionate and motivated people to join our expanding team and join us on our journey.
You will be joining a multi-disciplinary team including engineers, mathematicians, climatologists, computer scientists and aerospace engineers who have large global scale datasets to analyse and global climate models running on an HPC environment. You will be helping us to present our datasets to our customers via API frameworks and innovative and engaging visualisations.
As a DevOps Engineer /Senior DevOps Engineer you'll work closely with the engineering team to ensure that they ship high quality, stable, high performance software to our customers. The tech stack is Azure, Linux, Python, PostgreSQL, Django and Dask. You'll be responsible for designing, building, and automating our infrastructure for our API and visualisation services. You'll be managing regular releases and updates including technical planning of more complex implementations and writing technical documentation, reference architectures, knowledge-based articles, and blogs.
- Ensure the evolution and growth of the SATAVIA software platform, adopting a DevOps approach for and delivery, while achieving the highest possible security standards.
- Strive for personal and team evolution and improvement by envisioning practices that will improve productivity, communication, accountability, and teamwork.
- Continuously strive for cost-efficiency and performance for every tool, service and platform that is used towards the realization of our goals
1. Development Operations
- Ensuring continuous delivery of products
- Ensuring constant quality assurance through continuous test-driven development and review procedures
- Improving cost efficiency of running software, platforms, and tools
- Providing guidelines and tools for enhancing automation of building and delivering software products
- Strive towards the adoption of the infrastructure-as-code paradigm
2. Managing Infrastructure
- Ensuring reliability of our infrastructure that hosts our products
- Improving monitoring, logging, and alerting facilities that will disseminate useful insights across the whole team
- Management of our IaaS infrastructure tools and services (Rancher, Kubernetes, VPN etc.)
- Management of our data storage facilities (PostgreSQL, Azure blob store, NAS etc.
- Defining and communicating all IT related risks associated with the operation of our platform, software, and tools
- Ensuring that IT security practices are in place across our platform, by installing tools, scanners and implementing policies
- Document and encourage documentation of every process, function, practice, and tool by all team members.
- You will also be required to undertake any other reasonable duties that are relevant to the role.
Skills and Experience
- Degree-level qualification in Computer Science/Engineering/Science/Mathematics
- Familiarity with application container concepts, such as Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- Good knowledge of PostgreSQL
- Strong knowledge of Python
- Knowledge of a python test framework
- Knowledge of a cloud platform (preferably Azure)
- Proven experience in RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of CI/CD tools (e.g. Azure Pipelines)
- Ability to produce clear, concise documentation
- Experience of working in an agile team
- An appreciation of IT Security and Cyber Security best practice
- Experience of workflow management systems (Airflow, Argo)
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools (preferably Ansible)
- Familiarity with monitoring and logging (Zabbix, ELK, Prometheus) with Django and ORM frameworks
- Familiarity of HPC concepts such as slurm, infiniband, mpirun, etc.
- Exposure to administering MS O365
- EMI Share options scheme available.
- Generous pension scheme
- Bonus scheme and annual salary review
- Annual leave allowance of 33 days (including bank holidays) plus the option to buy/sell up to 5 days’ leave each year
- Enhanced sick pay
- Private medical and dental insurance
- Life assurance (Death in service)
- Income protection insurance
- Regular social events including pizza lunches and monthly team building/wellbeing activities
Our Vision and Values
Hungry for excellence - Smartest people. Smartest data. Smartest platform. We want to attract the best people who love the detail and thrive to be the best at all that we do to drive cutting-edge innovation.
Exploratory - We are geeks. We are curious. We are explorers. Our thirst for knowledge makes us want to learn every day. This allows everyone to push their individual, SATAVIA’s and the world’s boundaries.
Embracing transparency - Trust. Sharing. Support. In digital aerospace, transparency is key to build trust. We are open and honest about what we do and how we do it so that we can continually add value.
Without boundaries - We dare to think that there is no box.Our creative problem-solving culture means that we thrive on tackling the hardest problems in order to create the best solutions.
Collaborative - Teamwork. Discuss. Solve. Our agile-driven company culture focuses on our customers’ needs to shape our product roadmap.
Inclusive and diverse - We are scientists, programmers, and aviation specialists from all walks of life who work together to create better value faster.
Your application has been successfully submitted.