Software Engineering Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
While most of Team Bulb are working from home at this time, our Covid-secure offices are open for team members who need to use them. We’ve hired and onboarded more than 150 people virtually during the pandemic and have developed our ways of working to make sure new joiners feel part of our team. This includes virtual socials, lunch time 'Insights' from a range of internal and external speakers, and live streaming whole company meetings. If you'd like to read more about how we've adapted over the last few months, head over to our blog, and you can let us know about your specific requirements as part of the recruitment process.
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy - from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK last year and the internal tools that let us deliver an excellent Trust Pilot score.
We work in project-based sprints in integrated teams and encourage an open and transparent working environment.
We're looking for Engineering Managers to support our Engineers, drive technical initiatives and help us grow into a world class Engineering organisation. Engineering Managers at Bulb don’t write code or make technical decisions. They act, however, as a facilitator for those decisions. Their focus is on delivering mission impacting projects by building highly motivated and performing teams.
You'll manage Engineers within pods, driving high individual performance, and assisting them in their personal and professional development.
You’ll spend your time
Working with pods to:
* Line manage engineers in one or two pods (roughly 6-10 engineers). This will involve career conversations, regular feedback and helping individuals track their personal development
* Help teams reach high performance and deliver on their mission metrics
* Supporting Product Managers to achieve impactful delivery
Working with engineering management team to:
* Help the engineering team achieve continuous progress on tech debt, defects and operational/security improvements
* Hire and onboard great engineering talent from diverse backgrounds
* Drive engineering initiatives and contributing to best practices
* Experience with driving through improvements to upskill the engineering team or help the team deliver more effectively
* Experience with mentoring and coaching engineers
* You’re a great communicator and have empathetic first approach
* You’re data driven, but you know when to follow your intuition to move fast
* You’re technology agnostic, but have a strong Software Engineering background
* You have experience scaling and improving recruitment processes
Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
Cycle to work scheme
One month sabbatical leave after your first year
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Making energy simpler, cheaper, greener. Bulb is a startup energy supplier that provides 100% renewable electricity and gas to homes and businesses a...