Senior Validation Engineer, Electrical
Santa Monica, CA, USA
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As a validation engineer, you’ll work with design engineering, quality, and service to participate in design reviews, collaborate on DFMEAs, develop and execute test plans and close the feedback loop on issues found to support development and validate vehicles for safe and reliable product launches.
- Participate in design reviews/DFMEAs
- Lead the creation and/or execution of electrical test plans for development, validation and manufacturing end-of-line testing at the circuit board, subsystem and vehicle level, where applicable
- Design/source, and operate test equipment and infrastructure; utilize 3rd party test labs when needed
- Root cause analysis of development as well as field issues, and propose solutions that align with design, manufacturing, quality, and operations
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2-5 years in circuit design or electrical verification/validation testing (title will be determined by your level of experience and what you can bring to the team)
- Experience debugging circuitry with electrical engineering lab test equipment, including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, power measurement equipment.
- Detailed understanding of low-cost, high-volume PCBA design and manufacturing.
- Multi-tasking, self-starting and high sense of urgency to complete tasks
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required
- Experience with Altium or similar design tools
- Familiarity with DFM (design for manufacturability) and principles
- Experience with EMC testing
- Test automation and test rig development
- Bed of nails PCB tester development
- Exposure to mechanical, environmental and/or firmware testing
- Experience with Python, C, C++
- Working with suppliers/vendors
- Understanding of DVP&R and DFMEA documents
- Knowledge of standards such as ISO, UL, and GB/T
- Familiarity with vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN) communication interface
- Familiarity with Vector CANoe / CANalyzer
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.
Your application has been successfully submitted.