Finance and Operations Associate
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Death – though heart-wrenching – can be beautiful. Its rituals can be meaningful, and disposition of the body can be gentle and natural.
Recompose is an ecological death care company based in Seattle, Washington. When we open in late 2020, Recompose will offer the service of natural organic reduction (NOR), where human bodies are converted into soil. We are building the Recompose model to be an alternative to the existing funeral industry, offering an authentic, participatory experience for families and a natural return to the earth for the dead.
Recompose is seeking a Finance and Operations Associate with an intrepid and positive attitude and good project management skills.
Recompose is a small company, and the Finance and Operations Associate will take on myriad tasks. First and foremost, this person will take charge of all bookkeeping functions, including Quickbooks, AR/AP, day-to-day banking, and financial reporting. At least 5 years of prior experience in the bookkeeping realm is required.
Beyond the financial portion of the role, we are looking for someone with experience in several of the following categories: sourcing supplies, creating presentations, producing reports, customer relationship management, social media, and/or graphic design. We know that no one person will have every skill listed above, so we’re flexible, but we have plenty to accomplish in the categories above.
The Finance and Operations Associate could start as part time (2-3 days/week), but will eventually require 40 hours/week. For the next 6-9 months, the role will be primarily remote. Long term, the Finance and Operations Associate should be comfortable working in a building in which deceased human bodies are being cared for.
The Finance and Operations Associate will work closely with the CEO and COO.
Manage day-to-day bookkeeping:
- Post Accounts Receivables including all deposits, collections, revenue recognition, and allocate revenues.
- Post Accounts Payable: pay bills, allocate expenses, and reconcile all activity.
- Reconcile all accounts on an as-needed basis.
- Ensure all revenues and expenses are tracked by class and project.
- Manage payroll as needed.
- Keep outbound reporting compliant and up–to-date, including making calculations needed for regular tax payments.
- Work with CEO to prepare financial reports for quarterly board reports and finance meetings.
- Work with CEO and COO to develop annual budgets in excel and Quickbooks.
- As needed, estimate likely costs of future projects based on prior costing or researched data.
- Assist with expense reporting.
- Prepare reports through collection, analysis, and summarization of data.
- Create and project manage a calendar of financial tasks to ensure compliance with all tax and reporting laws.
Other projects will be highly varied, and you might assist with
- Planning, preparing for, and executing virtual and (later) in-person events.
- Updating data and pulling reports in the CRM.
- Researching questions for the rest of the team.
- Maintaining the Seattle office, once it’s established in 2021.
- Ordering supplies and helping to set up online store.
- Scheduling complex meetings or multiple interviews for job candidates.
- Planning travel.
- Building out our customer service program’s back-end.
- Good understanding of both the purpose and application of accounting rules and standards for bookkeeping. Familiarity with wide range of financial transactions, especially accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- 5+ years of previous experience in managing books of one or more companies, preferably in Washington state.
- Proficiency with QBO and Excel.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Able to plan, prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate complex data clearly.
- Great interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Commitment to working toward and advocating for climate healing, soil health, and environmental justice.
- Commitment to working at a progressive company that explicitly works to be anti-racist. Recompose is committed to advocating and protecting the rights of people of color, religious minorities, and undocumented people.
- Commitment to working at a progressive company that explicitly works to be feminist. Recompose is committed to advocating and protecting the rights of women, transgender people, and gender nonconforming people.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience with CRMs.
- Experience with businesses with multiple locations.
- Experience with sourcing materials or stocking online stores.
- Experience managing social media.
- Experience in graphic design basics.
- Valid, unrestricted Washington state driver’s license.
Range: $45,000 – 60,000 for full-time ($22.05-$29.41/hour). This position is non-exempt and eligible for overtime, although overtime is not expected to be a regular occurrence.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Recompose takes guidance from nature. At the heart of our model is a system that will gently return us to the earth after we die. Recompose is a publi...