Mid-Atlantic Regional Director
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Vote Solar’s mission is to repower the U.S. with clean energy by making solar power more accessible and affordable through effective policy advocacy. We are a non-profit organization with headquarters in Oakland, CA, and regional staff in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Washington, D.C.
Vote Solar is seeking to fill a key role on our campaign’s team. The Mid-Atlantic Regional Director will develop and direct legislative and other public-facing campaigns in the Mid-Atlantic, and will be point on the following activities:
- Develop Vote Solar’s legislative & public-facing campaign strategy for key states within the region. This will involve developing an understanding of solar policy needs and opportunities in target states across our five program areas of rooftop solar, community solar, utility-scale solar, grid modernization, and access & equity.
- Strategically plan and execute comprehensive regulatory and legislative campaigns to advance solar policy, including hiring lobbyists and tracking budgets.
- Recruit solar champions through relationship building and education of key policymakers in the region.
- Ensure that our work in the region advances equitable energy policies and programs that will benefit underserved communities.
- Leverage grassroots supporters and organizations as well as key influencers to turn solar’s broad popularity into effective political power.
- Build strong, authentic partnerships within coalitions to increase the effectiveness and inclusivity of our campaigns. Lead or participate in coalitions, existing and new, that are working on bold campaigns to improve energy and climate policy.
- Ensure top-notch communications campaigns in the region by working with our internal communications team and coalition partners to plan and implement media and social media tactics to support campaign objectives.
- Applicants should have knowledge of the legislative process, and familiarity with the components of an advocacy campaign: lobbying, grassroots and grasstops organizing and media relations.
- Interest in energy policy and a proven ability to become conversant with policy details.
- Experience working in coalitions and finding common ground among diverse and occasionally competing perspectives.
- Compelling communication skills, including the ability to speak in public and with media outlets.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- A personal commitment to building an inclusive and supportive work environment.
- Expertise on solar or other energy policy and regulatory topics, particularly in the Mid-Atlantic.
- Strong relationships with regional stakeholders, especially environmental justice, frontline and traditional environmental groups as well as the solar industry.
The salary range for this position is $85,000-95,000. Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package of benefits, including 3 weeks paid vacation in year one, four weeks starting in year two, plus 4 floating holidays and 12 days of sick leave, best-in-class health care and a retirement savings plan. We also offer paid parental and medical leave.
This position will ideally be based in a major city in the Mid-Atlantic, but other locations between the District of Columbia and New Jersey will be considered. As this position will require some regional travel, proximity to transportation hubs is important. Workplace arrangements can be flexible, including options to work from home. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage people of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
America’s energy problems — from economic crisis to global climate change — will only be solved by a national transition to renewables. Clean, homegro...