Head of Philanthropic Fundraising
The Ocean Cleanup
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. The Ocean Cleanup is non-profit and fully dependent on private donations and corporate sponsorships to funds the fulfillment of its mission. The Head of Philanthropic Fundraising is responsible for attracting multiyear private funding from large donors needed to execute our ambitions and clean the oceans.
The Head of Philanthropic Fundraising is responsible for securing substantial (un)restricted and multi-year grants and donations from philanthropists and philanthropic foundations to support the fulfillment of our mission.
Your responsibilities include
- Prospecting: identify potential funders through a variety of approaches including research, networking (incl. event attendance), and direct outreach to fill our philanthropic supporter pipeline.
- Develop funding campaigns for specific projects.
- Relationship development: engage with potential funders and organizations leveraging all appropriate opportunities to develop strong and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Storytelling: shaping strong and compelling proposals and reports for our potential and existing supporters.
- Pitching: presenting proposals to secure funds through direct presentations, grant applications, and other fundraising activities.
- Donor cultivation: maintain and deepen personal relationships with large donors (individuals and organizations) to deliver multiyear funding, grow their giving, and activate their network. Ensure agreements are met (e.g. reporting) and funders are being kept up to date with our mission’s progress.
- Process and capability building: contribute to the development of the organization’s approach, capacity, and capability to meet its funding needs, including the development of pitches, improving processes and monitoring, professionalizing funder updates (together with the Creative Copy and PR Manager), contract management (together with the Legal team), high quality financial/impact reporting, building our network and filling our pipeline of potential supporters.
- Financial targets: ensure delivery of agreed fundraising targets for philanthropy on an annual basis.
- Over 10 years of relevant work experience
- Proven international fundraising experience with a track record of securing substantial gifts and donations and other funding is a prerequisite
- Strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
- Proven track record of building lasting relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Capable of communicating with high net worth individuals and their teams
- Strong financial acumen
- Fluent in English
- Master's or Bachelor's degree
- Skilled with Salesforce
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Commercial hunger and a desire to make an impact by delivering on targets
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, structured
- Team player, diplomatic
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of different stakeholders
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
WORK PERMIT NEEDED: European Union
A valid European Union work permit is highly preferred for this position. However, feel free to send an open application so we can contact you if an opportunity arises in your country.
Your application has been successfully submitted.