Chicago, IL, USA
Gotham Greens is seeking a Project Engineer to help design specify and implement the equipment, machinery, and structure for our next generation of high-tech greenhouses and packing facilities. In this role, you will conduct research, technical analysis, and feasibility studies to identify the latest equipment and automation technology that we can employ to streamline our operations in growing, harvesting, and packing. You will participate in the design and development of the facility structure and liaise between external contractors, engineers, vendors, etc. lending technical and engineering expertise and support as needed. You’re the right person for this role if you’re passionate about optimizing manufacturing processes by incorporating smart design and cutting-edge technology while adhering to project deadlines and budgets.
Areas of Responsibility
- Lead projects in the development and implementation of equipment and automation technology. This will include design, specification, directing and managing vendors, installation and qualification of automated systems and equipment
- Participate in the design of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and equipment specification alongside third party design professionals
- Manage project drawing review process for all design, bid and construction sets
- Participate in growing system design and installation, packaging equipment design and installation, facility construction, and utilities
- Collaborate with multiple departments including Operations, Growing, Facilities, IT, Construction, Food Safety, and Sustainability to complete projects that introduce new products and improve efficiencies and existing capabilities
- Provide Provide necessary documentation to end user(s) at project completion including drawings, SOP’s, manuals, etc.
- Design modification and improvement of production machinery and equipment to improve safety, quality, and cost. Troubleshoot and solve technical problems pertaining to production machinery, equipment, regulatory guidelines and processes
- Design, build, program, and commission PLC control systems in our automated greenhouse
- Work with team to specify and source off-the-shelf electrical and pneumatic components
- Effectively delineate furnish and install scope between vendors, contractors and owner
- Some travel required to company greenhouses
- Technical/engineering degree and 3-5 years’ project engineering experience e.g. in: electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, process engineering, chemical engineering, automation engineering, electromechanical engineering, engineering technology or plant engineering
- LEAN Manufacturing and/or LEAN Six Sigma experience preferred
- PE preferred
- Understanding and functional knowledge of automation systems, vision systems, PLC’s, low voltage controls, three phase power distribution, electronic sensors, pneumatics, hydraulics, and robotics
- Machine specification and purchase order writing
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration capabilities
- Design and application knowledge of ergonomic and machine safety standards
- Experience in food or an adjacent industry preferred
- Experience with Bluebeam, AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical drawings, P&ID’s, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
- Experience in mechanical and electrical design
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings, and dips all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of 350+ full time team members are hardworking, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun and collaborative. Gotham Greens offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
We are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Your application has been successfully submitted.