Vice President of Sol Customer Solutions
Washington, D.C., USA
Sol Systems (“Sol”) is a leading renewable energy developer, financier, trader and operator. Sol is designed to empower entrepreneurs to have a meaningful impact on the world with a focus on catalyzing the development and operation of sustainable infrastructure. The company has developed or financed over two hundred projects, totaling over 625MW (over a billion dollars) in solar assets. Sol Systems remains primarily employee owned and is led by its founder.
Sol Customer Solutions (“SCS”) is Sol’s customer-facing development business, and is a leader in providing corporate, municipal and non-profit customers with renewable energy and storage solutions. It works with customers, including Fortune 100 companies, municipalities, and others, to help accelerate their transition to more sustainable energy resources. In June of 2019 Sol partnered with Capital Dynamics, one of the largest global owners of renewable energy assets, to leverage the expertise and resources of both teams and to scale the SCS business by providing customers with more comprehensive onsite and offsite solutions.
Sol is now seeking to hire a Vice President, Sol Customer Solutions (SCS) that will lead the team to drive our expansion into new markets and new technologies and position the company for success in the next decade.
This position will be based in our Washington, DC headquarters, and is a critical position for the future of Sol. The Vice President, SCS will report directly to Sol’s Chief Executive Officer. The Vice President of SCS will manage a dedicated team of professionals that are passionate about their mission to build one of the most successful solar development platforms in the country. The position is ideal for an experienced professional with strategic capability and experience leading businesses, who is looking to join a growing company, work in an entrepreneurial environment and help build SCS into a leading distributed generation platform.
The Vice President of Sol Customer Solutions will be responsible for the success of the Sol Customer Solutions business. This will require a firm understanding of the business unit, the US solar market, and successfully growing businesses. This individual will also shape origination and execution strategy around those needs, including the following:
- Work with the CEO of Sol Systems to establish the strategic direction of SCS’s business and execute this strategy in collaboration with Sol leadership
- Lead, coach, mentor, develop and inspire top-tier talent within SCS
- Work collaboratively with other members of Sol Systems’ engineering, asset management, and delivery teams
- Work with Capital Dynamics to oversee a project funding process that delivers high quality project assets in an efficient and diligent manner
- Oversee the SCS business line and proactively address and solve issues and risks that arise
- Provide clarity on strategic oversight and vision and manage, communicate and report progress to stakeholders
- Present development plans on a regular basis and provide leadership with information necessary to support major decisions and milestones, including necessary investment and expected returns
- Analyze new potential markets and other business opportunities for SCS growth
- Develop effective key performance metrics, milestones, specifications, documentation and reporting requirements and budgets
- Oversee priorities, schedule and responsibilities of SCS staff
- Provide constructive and timely performance evaluations
- Evaluate internal team capabilities and project level risks and cost control to continuously improve origination strategies
- Recruit, interview, hire and train management and professional level staff within SCS in collaboration with Sol Systems Human Resources
- Oversee annual financial goals and performance for the business unit
- Develop, track and analyze cost and success of current and potential campaigns and markets
- Drive business development success and growth by successfully executing business targets, and by identifying, evaluating and measuring growth opportunities in new markets and with new customers
- Maintain strong working relationships and communication with in-house business development, engineering, construction, sales, service, legal and finance teams
- Support business finance execution by overseeing project finance execution including due diligence and project sales to ensure transaction terms are favorable
- Work closely and negotiate with commercial counterparties, government entities, and other stakeholders on projects / transaction
- Maintain knowledge in developing trends and technologies in the industry
- Facilitate cross-functional projects and teams with competing priorities to drive success
A successful candidate will possess the following competencies, skills and attributes:
- Demonstrated dedication to our mission
- Superior strategic capability
- Exceptional leadership and coaching skills and experience managing teams across disciplines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to identify and implement best practices and continual performance measurement
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficient with the financial tools required to make estimates, business forecasts, and strategic decisions
- Intellectual flexibility and adaptive to change
- Experience with solar project development and finance
- Experience with CRM
Education and Experience:
- Experience running a company or business unit with profit and loss responsibility
- 10+ years of experience in renewable energy development or sales
- Bachelors degree in business, engineering, marketing or related field; MBA preferred
Location & Hours: Our office is Washington, DC. This position is full-time with a required 5 days a week in the office. Our core business hours are 9:00am to 6:00pm.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, transportation benefits, education benefits, paid vacation and federal holidays, plus the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic startup environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements. Applicants that are missing items from this list will not be considered. Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other trait. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Your application has been successfully submitted.