Vice President of Development, Utility Scale Solar
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Sol Systems is seeking a Vice President of Development to lead its utility-scale solar development business unit. This individual will be responsible for establishing an acquisition and development strategy, determining the objectives and processes necessary to execute on that strategy, and managing resources and capital deployment to responsibly advance a portfolio of development assets. This position will directly manage a team that focuses on acquisition of assets in all stages of development and furthers development of these assets to NTP. Development assets will ultimately be positioned for sale to Sol Systems’ infrastructure company. The Vice President will collaborate directly with the infrastructure team, key external partners and offtake customers and report directly to the CEO.
Sol Systems is a solar energy project development and financial services company with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base. We have financed or developed over $2 billion of solar energy assets to date. As a leading renewable energy developer, financier, trader and operator, Sol empowers entrepreneurs to have a meaningful impact on the world with a focus on catalyzing the development and operation of sustainable infrastructure.
The Vice President of Development's responsibilities include:
- Establish and implement business unit strategy aligned with company and team objectives
- Develop and deliver profitable solar projects that meet key financial, social, and programmatic goals
- Manage capital allocation in a manner which balances project returns, MWs delivered, and risk
- Establish a target portfolio composition of early and late stage projects that fits the organization’s risk tolerance, financial constraints, and goals
- Manage acquisition team to establish AOIs, acquisition structures, and joint development structures
- Manage project valuation team to ensure that acquired and developed projects meet the financial requirements of asset owners
- Maintain project models that clearly demonstrate economics, risk, and sensitivities to aid decision making
- Manage the project operations team, assuring detailed diligence during acquisitions and continuous development of projects through construction notice to proceed
- Build strategic partnerships with industry partners, service providers, capital partners, and key consultants
- Provide leadership and decision making for key opportunities and events, contract negotiations, and soliciting executive team feedback and support
- Establish processes and deliverables to quantify risk and achieve Investment Committee approvals
- Lead communication, reporting, and oversee work products for key customers and partners
- Build and enhance processes, work-flow procedures, tools and work products, and data management
- Account for business unit P&L, budgeting, scheduling, goal setting, reporting to executive management, and achieving alignment and buy-in from all key stakeholders
- Collaborate with key internal disciplines and departments to aid initiatives including policy, legal, finance, marketing, construction, and accounting
- Enable team building, mentorship, and professional development for all department team members
- Account for all team activities, initiatives, work products, and overall team performance
- Manage people resourcing, team organization, reporting structure, and role definition
- Develop a clear and firm sense of how the development business is performing overall and leverage that perspective in weighing portfolio and market level development decisions
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Team oriented with a positive disposition
- Advanced strategic capabilities and intellectual flexibility that is adaptive to change
- Seasoned and motivated leader of teams and willing to invest in people
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Skilled and respected negotiator that can achieve balanced agreements with counterparties
- 8+ years prior experience developing utility scale solar projects in the US market
- Familiar and knowledgeable across all functions and disciplines that enable project development
- Proven track record of success and ability to maneuver through challenges and setbacks
- Strong communication skills and ability to summarize complex issues and convey information such that it invites and enables efficient decision making
- Comfort working in a high growth environment and can effectively collaborate with multiple disciplines
- Proficient with the financial tools required to develop models, business forecasts, and long-term planning
Location & Hours: The ideal candidate will report to our office in Washington, DC.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, education benefits, parental leave, paid vacation, sick and federal holidays, and the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or any other trait. Sol supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Sol Systems, a national solar finance and development firm, delivers sophisticated, customized services for institutional, corporate, and municipal cu...