Electrical Engineer IV
Zero Motorcycles Inc.
Scotts Valley, CA, United States
Zero Motorcycles is looking for a capable power electronics Hardware Engineer to join the Electrical Engineering Department with primary focus of integrating power electronics into partner programs. A key deliverable of this position is championing device refinements to secure performance meeting rigors of off-highway vehicles using automotive industry development tools while meeting Quality, Cost and Timing targets with appropriate suppliers.
We are looking for an individual that enjoys a position in which new technologies, systems and applications are an everyday thing. This individual should be capable of understanding requirements to convey tasks needed to meet new design challenges, and demonstrate experience relentlessly tracking down details required to successfully resolve each task championed.
- Harden Power Electronics designs using test-driven-development to meet project performance requirements
- Schematic and layout design of circuits and systems
- Bring up and debug of power and electrical systems
- Evaluate system architecture designs such as battery chargers, vehicle controllers, high current paths including interconnection systems, EMC/SI, and fault behavior cases via DFMEA
- Communicate requirements for software designs, with a hands-on approach to test and debug power and functional test systems in support of software QA
- Gap analysis including benchmark products; evaluate risks to changes in product designs.
- Collaborate with all electronics hardware design and development functions, including New Product Introduction/supply chain engineers to integrate new components
- Conduct peer reviews of designs, features, and marketing/engineering specifications
- Work with component vendors to qualify parts to meet the needs of the system architecture
- Ensure power electronic systems meet requirements, through release to production hand-off
- Balance priorities to deliver design qualified and manufactured products on program schedules
- Provide production-release support
- Mentor other engineers in Power Electronics principles and architectures
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or similar area or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 6-10 Years of power electronics engineering experience in related field
- Hands-on debug experience with firmware and hardware in high voltage products
- Experience with analog and digital circuit design in power electronics
- Experience incorporating EV power electronics with automotive powertrain systems preferred
Skills and Attributes
- Strong familiarity with power electronics architectures and test planning
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting to maximize lab test time results
- Proven experiences contributing to power electronics packaging design in harsh environments
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, & peer review
- Excellent knowledge of CAN communication interfaces and hardware subsystems, J1939
- Problem solving and process-oriented design test and document is essential
- Proficiency debugging embedded software systems. Familiarity with UART, JTAG, lab equipment
- Strong documentation and technical writing skills with attention to detail
- Experience with supplier relationships and test report performance verifications
- Excellent team communication skills
- Knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components, informing cost evaluations
- Diligent, reliable and tenacious
Other Requirements (if applicable)
- M1 Licensed motorcycle rider a plus
- Ability to travel as required (~10%) either domestically or internationally.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
- Candidate must be able to sit/stand for long periods of time to perform duties, and to move around and make inquiries from other staff, management as needed.
- Must be able to bend or stoop down to access files, including lifting of items or objects up to 30 lbs.
Your application has been successfully submitted.