Technical Writer III
Zero Motorcycles Inc.
Scotts Valley, CA, United States
Zero Motorcycles mission is to inspire the adoption of sustainable energy by creating the most captivating motorcycles and powertrains, centered around the human experience. We constantly seek talented, motivated individuals possessing a proven track record of excellence to join our team. Become part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the motorcycle and mobility industry. We are currently seeking a Technical Writer. This position requires an experienced professional with a Technical Publications background. Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields, to possess the ability to learn quickly and to strive for perfection within a fast-paced environment.
- Gather information and field documentation requests from subject matter experts (e.g. engineers, quality assurance, software developers, technicians, etc.).
- Collaborate with engineers and technicians to document processes.
- Comprehend and extract system operation information from engineering documentation and tools (such as schematics, system specifications, and Confluence)
- Produce high-quality documentation (e.g. API, Architecture, specifications, instructional manuals and web) that meets applicable standards and update existing content.
- Ensure content is accurate (for example, validate information accuracy, peer review others’ content, and follow review processes).
- Strategize and implement process improvements, for both documentation processes and peripherally related processes.
- Source and use graphics appropriately (for example, request figures from technical illustrators, take photos, and edit photos and figures to highlight areas of interest to users).
- Manage tasks and information flow using collaboration software (such as JIRA, Confluence, Smartsheet, Draw.io and custom databases).
- Create and maintain the information architecture
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures.
- Strong attention to detail, strong personal organization, collaboration, and time management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members (face to face and through e-mail).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and challenging work environment with very tight deadlines
- Must have the ability to be flexible, work independently, and interact with internal teams as well as customers
- Manage multiple projects and work independently using creativity, ingenuity, and self-motivation.
- Positive attitude toward change and inevitable mid-project course corrections.
- Writing for translation or localization experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in technical writing of software documentation with knowledge of relevant content development tools
- Bachelor’s degree, certificate in Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience
- Markup language experience (such as HTML, XML, XLS or SGML).
- Structured authoring tool experience (such as oXygen, XMetaL, Azure).
- Content Management System (CMS) experience (such as Team Center, Salesforce).
- Knowledge of Atlassian Confluence and JIRA
- Documentation strategy and architecture experience.
- Style guideline experience (Simplified Technical English, S1000D, MIL-STD, MSW, or custom style guide creation or contributions).
- Portfolio of hardcopy or softcopy writing samples and projects
- Provide high quality writing samples and/or take a writing test
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign is a plus
- Experience OEM Automotive Technical Authoring Experience
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
- Candidate must be able to sit/stand for long periods of time to perform duties, and to move around and make inquiries from other staff, management as needed.
- Must be able to bend or stoop down to access files, including lifting of items or objects up to 50 lbs.
Other Requirements (if applicable)
- M1 Licensed motorcycle rider a plus
Your application has been successfully submitted.