Senior Software Engieer, Team Lead
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
NMI is happy to announce that we are looking to find either a Senior level Software Engineer or a Team Lead for the EMV development team. The role involves working within a specialist technical team responsible for the development and maintenance of NMI’s EMV (Chip and PIN) product portfolio that spans multiple platforms, including a variety of embedded systems. As these solutions are used worldwide in many different financial markets the team is responsible for delivering high quality robust code that meets not only industry standards but also NMI’s code quality standards. Depending on the level of experience of the candidate the role may also be open to lead the EMV software development team at NMI; supervising, guiding and motivating, delegating tasks, negotiating workloads, assessing performance and keeping the Line Manager informed of the activity of the team. We are considering ‘Senior’ level as well as ‘Team Lead’.
The team’s tasks include the need to maintain and improve existing software libraries, device drivers, sample applications and support tools. This will include the implementation of modifications and new features required by industry standard evolutions and customer requests, liaising with other members of the EMV team to help investigate and resolve customer field reports and testing issues, and supporting the team and company in other tasks that may be needed to allow the company or their customers to achieve their goals.
NMI develops the most trusted payment software for mobile, online and in-store that is relied on in 38 countries, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. With offices in Bristol, Los Angeles, Chicago, Salt Lake City and New York, our payment technology powers millions of customers worldwide, ensuring they can take payments worth billions, securely and reliably. You've probably used our software when ordering a burger, paying for parking or booking a train ticket - without realising it!
What will I be doing?
- Methodical approach to development & testing, with the ability to write robust code.
- Understanding requirements & their implications with regard to industry standards, & identifying solutions that achieve these goals.
- Identifying and then (either directly or by assignment to others) implementing improvements to our products, documentation, and services that will benefit the company.
- Ensuring that emails and other queries from customers, test labs, card schemes and other external parties that require development team input are dealt with professionally, effectively and in a timely manner.
- Responsibility for ensuring that our products continue to evolve within required timelines in order to meet or exceed all latest and forthcoming industry requirements and best practice.
- Ensuring that every code change is to a high standard (and where practical kept compatible with existing APIs), and that all our development products have high quality robust code that meet not only industry standards but also NMI’s code quality standards, and that each change is properly designed, implemented, documented, tested and reviewed, in order to ensure that it will work as intended and will reduce the impact upon each of our customers that will need to integrate and certify these changes.
- Working closely with other team members, team leaders and line managers (within both the EMV team and the whole organization as required) to ensure that knowledge is shared and that any tasks that require cooperation are completed successfully.
- Providing good quality development task estimations and ensuring that the development team has a clear understanding of the required tasks and timescales, that tasks are properly prioritized and delegated as appropriate, and that the progress of all tasks is monitored and acted upon where required, in order to meet agreed timescales.
- Dependent on experience level potentially supervising development team members, providing guidance and motivation, and acting as a knowledge base and role model for the development team.
- Dependent on experience level potentially assessing performance of the development team, both in an on-going basis and through appraisals, and dealing with any issues that may arise within the team (or escalating them if appropriate).
Essential Skills & Criteria:
- Excellent ‘C’ and C# language development skills, and the ability to deliver high quality robust code that meets all requirements, without the need for supervision
- Good working knowledge of EMV (Chip and PIN) or card payment software.
- Experienced with a variety of toolchains, preferably including the use of make files.
- University graduate with a degree (1st/2.1) in Engineering / Computer Science or related discipline.
- Highly motivated, thorough with an uncommon eye for detail.
- Ability to develop & maintain software libraries, device drivers, sample applications and support tools, working independently or as part of a team.
Prefered Skills & Criteria
- Experience of working with Linux and embedded environments is highly advantageous
- Familiar with C++, Doxygen & source control systems such as TortoiseGit.
- Experience of leading a team and mentoring less experienced team members.
- Be prepared to maintain a clean driving license and be able to travel in the UK & worldwide to carry out duties as required.
As well as being a part of something exciting every day, you will also receive the following benefits:
- Annual salary dependant on experience, from £47,000 and upwards
- 25 holiday days each year (+ bank holidays + 1 day after each year of service with up to a max. of 30 days)
- Work-life balance with our Flexi-time policy
- 7 hours per day, 35 hours per week
- Annual bonus scheme
- A chance to develop with an allocated company training budget
- Private health insurance
- Bike2Work Scheme (government-backed cycle to work scheme)
- Workplace pension scheme
- Perkbox subscription - discounts on gyms, restaurants, high st retailers, cinema tickets etc
- Free fruit delivered to the office
- Great central BS1 location with one of the best views in Bristol!
- Bonusly colleague reward scheme
We’re looking for creative and passionate people who share our vision of making payments easy. If that sounds like you and you meet the requirements above, then get in touch!
Please be aware that all offers of employment are made subject to receipt of satisfactory background and financial checks.
Please be aware that NMI does not operate a licence for the sponsorship of those who are not already eligible to work within the UK.
For internal use: IndHPr
Your application has been successfully submitted.