Data Science Manager
Remote, OR, USA
Coursera is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 77 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future. More than 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, certificates, and degree programs. Thousands of companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Coursera is backed by leading investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
At Coursera, our Data Science team is helping to build the future of education through data-driven decision making and data-powered products. We drive product and business strategy through measurement, experimentation, and causal inference. We define, develop, and launch the models and algorithms that power content discovery, personalized learning, and machine-assisted teaching and grading. We believe the next generation of teaching and learning should be personalized, accessible, and efficient. With our scale, data, technology, and talent, Coursera and its Data Science team are positioned to make that vision a reality.
As Data Science Manager you will lead a talented team of data scientists focused on two critical strategic domains: (1) Content Strategy, and (2) Insights & Research; you will be the coach of the team as well as a key player in the game, rolling up your sleeves and building solutions. In Content Strategy, we define and build data products to predict which new content offerings learners will most value and inform the content production pipelines of our university and industry partners. In Insights & Research, we leverage the rich data captured as tens of millions of learners and thousands of instructors engage on the platform to deliver innovative thought-leadership on skills, education, and the future of work. The ideal candidate is a creative and impact-oriented builder with a strong computational and statistical skill set, exceptional communication skills, and a passion for education.
- Attract, develop, and retain a world-class team of scientists, including providing deep technical guidance
- Collaborate with business and product partners in defining and executing on the team roadmap
- Evaluate the success of key product and business initiatives in order to inform team priorities
- Ideate, prototype, and productionize the machine learning algorithms (e.g., forecasting) that power Coursera’s content engine
- Help lay the vision for and launch novel data-powered reports like our Global Skills Index, including by building a top our Skills Graph foundations and collaborating closely with our go-to-market teams
- 2+ years experience building data-powered products and machine learning solutions
- 2+ years applying statistical inference techniques to business and/or questions
- Experience with mentoring team and/or leading technical initiatives
- Proficient with at least one scripting language (e.g. Python)
- Experience communicating with cross-functional partners and managing multiple projects
- Proficient with relational databases and SQL
- 1+ years leading and mentoring high-performing data scientists
- MS or above, or equivalent experience
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at [email protected]
Please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.
Your application has been successfully submitted.