Senior User Researcher, Kaluza International
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Our user experience community is growing and we’re seeking a Senior User Researcher to join our International team to uncover the needs of energy consumers in different countries and to establish processes that allow us to research with these users.
You’ll be working within Kaluza which is shaping the future: a distributed, consumer-centric energy system providing clean, affordable energy for everyone. Orion is our flexible software platform which enables energy suppliers to provide a simple, transparent, reliable experience to their customers. By moving to a more real-time view of data, we’re increasing the transparency and accuracy of energy charges to reduce customer confusion and help avoid unexpected costs. We build tools and processes which enable suppliers to solve customer problems and help end users better manage their energy at home.
We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll coordinate planning, analysing, and communicating research, and identifying where it's needed. We see user research as a team sport so you’ll involve as many people as possible in generative and evaluative activities, collaborative analysis, and sharing evidence and insights. And as part
of our user research practice you’ll help build up our research operations.
We are relatively flexible when it comes to your location however we may need you in Bristol or London on occasions. You may also have the opportunity to travel to conduct in-country research.
This is a great strategic opportunity to inform how OVO can expand beyond the UK. Experience working with internationalisation and localisation would be a huge bonus! As would language skills in French or Spanish, though they’re not essential.
Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies at ovoenergy.com/careers and Glassdoor. We were delighted to receive a 2018 Top Employers certificate, and to be named uSwitch's 2019 Supplier of the Year.
Diverse teams are the best teams. Only when we represent everyone, can we create services for everyone. We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know 'normal' office hours don't work for everyone, so we're open to discussing flexible working requests. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much
of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
- Uncover the needs of energy consumer in managing their energy across international markets, starting with France, using a mixture of methods such as depth interviews, desk research and surveys
- Conduct usability testing of our Orion energy platform across international markets
- Establish feedback mechanisms for international energy consumers
- Build up research operations that enable us to conduct research in international markets effectively and efficiently — starting with recruitment participants
What you’ll be doing
First three months
- immerse yourself in the energy industry and our market landscape – be curious!
- meet your product team and stakeholders, and understand the programme of work
- conduct moderated usability testing to get your bearings and drive out research questions
- create an initial research plan and start feeding insights to the team
- get to know your colleagues, and connect with our wider research and design community
Within six months
- use a range of methods to show how our international energy consumers think about things like energy tariffs, managing their home energy, and their personal impact on the planet
- operationalise processes to make setting up and conducting research more efficient
- develop a strategic approach to continuous research
- work with your product managers to help move teams to question-based roadmaps
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research and testing
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace agile and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
You’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers and designers. UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, getting people excited about service design, UX critiques, improving our accessibility, and putting participants first in our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO exists to power human progress with clean and affordable energy for all. We’re here to challenge the status quo: to do what’s right, find a better way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our forward-thinking future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We want to build teams which represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we hire on the basis of merit and potential. So get in touch, ask lots of questions.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The OVO Group’s mission is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. We’re a collection of companies with a single vision: to power human prog...