Sr. Backend Software Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are seeking a backend software engineer to join our team building the cloud based glue that gives our users access to the rich information and controls provided by the Span Panel. Our system collects a large volume of energy monitoring data that needs to be stored, processed and exposed in different ways for different end users. We're also opening up never before available levels of control of the energy in the home that need to be accessed in secure and easy to use APIs.
You’ll join our software engineering team and work with other engineers including mobile, device firmware, and systems software. Working with the team you’ll lead the design and implementation of systems that integrate our hardware, mobile apps, dashboards and external APIs. You'll work with product owners and other engineers to build features from start to finish. Since the team is small you'll quickly become the go to person for features you work on.
- Leading projects with 2-3 engineers in the design and implementation of brand new subsystems of the Span Cloud
- Work cross-functionally with product and design teams to learn about our customers, identify solutions and develop the features that solve their needs
- Collaborate between firmware, frontend and backend engineers on projects to seamlessly build a cohesive product
- Work in our TypeScript cloud with GraphQL and REST APIs communicating with IoT devices over AWS tools and MQTT
- Be ready to pitch in on projects outside of your backend subject area, when needed
- Designing APIs and data specifications for internal and external users
- Build systems to control third party devices such as electric vehicle chargers through the Span App
- Support highly reliable communications over the cloud between Span Apps and Span Panels with a different levels and paths for connectivity
- Generate and display insights about the energy usage of a home via the Span Home App
- Exposing our datasets to customers and partners through APIs such as utilities and installers
- Support the creation of dashboards for fleet management
We are seeking a seasoned backend engineer with several years demonstrating knowledge and experience in:
- 4+ years of experience as a backend engineer
- Leading projects, involving engineers from multiple domains, from start to finish and successfully delivering required functionality
- Building AWS-based infrastructure
- Collaborating with coworkers in shared code base using industry standard tools and processes including type systems, linting and unit testing
- Understanding engineering principles and processes to design robust, scalable and resilient systems
- Proficiency with node-based software stacks, and desire to work with TypeScript
We would love to hire someone with experience working in one or more of the following areas:
- Internet of Things (IoT) products (e.g. AWS IoT, Google Cloud IoT, something homegrown) or other hardware component to the product
- Docker based deployments
- Python, especially data science packages
- A variety of different datastores (e.g. SQL and noSQL, key value stores, document stores)
- GraphQL APIs
- Products with a rich mobile app
Your application has been successfully submitted.
At Span, we believe that powering homes with clean energy should be a simple and delightful experience that is technology-forward and human-centered.