Engineering Program Manager
San Francisco, CA, USA
We are looking for a passionate engineering program manager with experience working with both hardware and software teams. You will develop and own program schedules from prototype to customer release, partnering effectively with multiple technology teams, and managing deliverables for critical milestones. This will involve allocating work, highlighting resource needs, finding efficiency improvements, and communicating timeline changes across the organization.
In This Role, You Will
- Define and drive product development and release schedules to meet the company’s business goals; inclusive of but not limited to mechanical, electrical, firmware, backend, and mobile.
- Collaborate and communicate with cross-functional teams across software, hardware, product, and business.
- Identify interdependencies in complex systems.
- Anticipate risks throughout the development of products and services, develop mitigation plans.
- Report the status of development programs to entire company on a weekly basis.
- Manage uncertainty about schedule risk and keep organization updated on release dates.
- Work with product management to negotiate schedule/cost/feature tradeoffs as well as prioritize development efforts
- Monitor and report status against those plans in pursuit of releasing new products and features on time and with high quality
- Prioritize bug fixes and eliminating technical debt throughout continued product development.
- Work with finance team to keep project on budget; manage trade-offs between schedule, scope and spend
We are seeking a engineering program manager who has:
- 3+ years of experience in technical project management: tracking dates and requirements in a complex environment involving multiple products, platforms, and technologies.
- Experience working in with engineering teams, and a track record of shipping devices on time.
- High level of comfort with ambiguity and fast-pace environments.
- JIRA, Confluence, Atlassian experience.
- Ability to step outside their comfort zone and wear a multitude of hats as they help throughout the organization.
We would love to hire someone who has:
- Prior experience in smart home, IoT, or renewable energy (solar and battery energy storage).
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions and recommendations.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience with hardware products that involve firmware and embedded software.
- Engineering or technical background.
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Impacting the future as a small, agile team means putting in a lot of hard work and elbow grease so we work to make sure you are happy, healthy, and you look forward to coming to work. Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation at a well-funded venture-backed company
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans: dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- A sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities, board games nights, and other opportunities to connect with our awesome team - in-person and now virtually
- Generous equity grants at a quickly-growing startup
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- To be a part of a team and culture that is hard-working, has a good sense of humor, works collaboratively, and is just a little nerdy
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Your application has been successfully submitted.