Senior Scientific Software Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We're seeking a seasoned, passionate software engineer to join our team as the Senior Scientific Software Engineer. You'll be helping to grow our success as an AI-first platform, working within our team of climate scientists, statisticians and engineers across the entirety of our complex ML pipelines, with a specific focus on software quality, efficiency and scalability.
From the outset you'll be leading on the scientific software stack, identifying computational bottlenecks and leveraging our infrastructure to expand our modelling capabilities. You'll also be passionate about working closely with teams spanning multiple disciplines to bring models to a production-grade level. Reporting to Maxime Rischard, Cervest’s Lead Scientist, you will play a crucial role in driving forwards the team to better understand and model our planet in the face of its new climate reality.
The role offers a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on our company and our users.
We are a pro-diversity company and passionate about bringing together people of all backgrounds, because we know that a diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
What you'll be doing – main responsibilities
- Contributing to cross-functional science projects and goals, alongside earth scientists and machine learning experts.
- Mentoring and educating others to become better scientific software engineers, and raising the standards of scientific computing at Cervest.
- Collaborating with our engineering teams to operationalise scientific outputs.
- Work with the leadership team to plan the future of scientific computing at Cervest.
- Multiple years of software engineering experience in industry or academia, including the operationalisation/productisation of scientific models and algorithms;
- Teaching and mentoring experience, presentations at conferences, and/or participation in open-source communities;
- Fluency in a programming language commonly used for writing performant scientific software, such as C, C++, rust, julia or Fortran;
- Fluency in a higher-level language and its library ecosystem, such as python, R, julia or matlab;
- Theoretical foundations in computer science, for example algorithms and data structures;
- Experience implementing numerical algorithms on GPUs.
Great if you have:
- Experience with distributed and cloud computing;
- Experience with geospatial data;
- Experience leading and managing a team.
Salary – £70-80K / annum (dependent on experience) or local equivalent
Opportunities to learn, grow and thrive with support from talented and empathetic team mates
We are a remote first company and, given the time frame for this role, we are anticipating that it will be fully remote. We are looking for candidates who would be able to come to our office in London (once travel is sensible) once a quarter using more sustainable transport methods (we'll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
Fuller list of benefits on our main career page - we’re an early stage startup and currently reviewing our benefits in light of becoming a remote-first company. We are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Cervest is pioneering Earth Science AI to help businesses, governments and growers adapt to climate volatility.