FTO Program Director
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Innovation Asset Collective (IAC) is a membership based not-for-profit organization designed to assist Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the data-driven clean technology sector to better leverage IP to grow and scale. Specifically, IAC assembles promising portfolios of patents, which are licensed to members to boost their patent portfolio and secure freedom to operate; IAC also educates, advises and helps members to develop their IP strategy. By securing freedom to operate, it allows members to spend more on R&D and less on licensing. This allows SMEs to be more competitive, acquire more customers, attract more funding, and scale quickly, which retains profits and skills in Canada.
IAC was founded by three leading experts in IP, each of whom brings incredible experience and expertise in this area. Peter Cowan, Chris Wormald and Jim Hinton. IAC is also supported by a board of directors, who are steeped in industry expertise and represent a geographical, gender and ethnic diversity.
IAC is in its startup phase, and looking to find the best talent to join our team and help lay the groundwork for our long-term success. We are a team of highly motivated, and fast paced individuals who are passionate about making a difference.
FTO Program Director
Purpose of Position
The FTO Program Director will contribute to IACs IP services, delivering a patent purchase program and licensing program that will maximize value for Canadian SMEs in the Clean-Tech space; leading a team to analyze and source IP; and define opportunities for licensing and acquisition in patent portfolios of IACs members.
This role is primarily Internally focused working with Patent Analysts and other internal stakeholders.
Mission and Scope
Ownership of Patent Acquisition Strategy
• Operationalize IACs Patent Acquisition Strategy.
• Program management of acquisition initiatives with project management as needed.
• Patent landscaping including technical review and segmentation.
• Research & assess value of patents in order to identify potential opportunities for patent acquisitions and revenue generations.
• Lead or participate in acquisition negotiations.
• Create and manage engagement plan with current patent owners/assignees.
Ownership of Licensing Strategy to create FTO for Canadian Companies
• Build and operationalize a relevant and valuable licensing program.
• Work with IAC members and stakeholders to understand their IP needs, and use this to drive the focus of our licensing program.
• Build recommendation for patent filings that benefit IAC membership.
• Stakeholder management and engagement to deliver the licensing program.
IP Consultation and Expertise
• Advise members on IP Generation by providing guidance and input on patent filings & approach.
• Advise or contribute to patent prosecution as required.
Advise or participate in other IAC service offerings as required (Education & Best Practices, Prior Art Library, IP Intelligence, and Patent Generation).
Advise or participate in ISED or member related reporting tasks as required.
• Contribute to the direction of the organization, including advising the executive team as applicable.
• Work cross functionally to animate programs and deliver for our members.
This position could include other duties as assigned, based on start-up needs of the company.
CEO and/or VP IP Operations & Transactions
Key competencies required for success
- Deep knowledge & expertise in licensing and patent acquisition
- Leadership and an ability to motivate others to do their best work
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Able to build trust with people from different communities & backgrounds.
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of French is desirable
Monthly travel will be expected within the province and/or neighboring provinces.
Required education and experience
Bachelor of Engineering
10+ years’ experience in the IP Industry
10 years’ experience managing or leading teams on patent transaction programs
Experience building up a client-facing business
Masters of Engineering or Masters of Business
This is expected to be up to a one year contract, covering for a Maternity/Parental leave.
This position will be open until December 31st, 2020. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
IAC is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. IAC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The Innovation Asset Collective (IAC) cuts through the noise and helps Canadian companies harness the value and power of their Intellectual Property (...