This job is no longer accepting applications.
Zenobē Energy was established to enable the transition to full zero carbon, non-polluting power and transport systems through the intelligent use of energy storage.
The company has established a strong track record as the UK’s leading owner and operator of battery infrastructure solutions for bus and other vehicle fleet operators, as well as network operators and industrial customers. As of December 2020, Zenobē will be overseeing almost 100 electric buses and 73MW of operational grid-scale battery capacity, with bids submitted or upcoming for some 1000 further buses and 750MW of grid-scale storage across various geographies. 240,000 trees would be required to absorb the equivalent CO2 saved by our existing EV fleet over 15 years. The vehicle batteries are re-used and join the grid-scale business at the end of their life, helping to enable the levels of renewable energy required to reach Net Zero by 2050.
Zenobē has been consistently innovative since its founding in 2017, with major industry firsts in software development, market access, financing and solution provision. It is backed by leading strategic investors and a Board that has outstanding experience in infrastructure, energy, finance and batteries, leaving the company uniquely positioned to meet customer demands with innovative solutions.
We are offering an exciting opportunity for outstanding graduates with a passion for fighting climate change to apply their degree skills to the real-life commercial deployment of energy storage and electric vehicle projects. In our rapidly growing company, adaptable, highly motivated and talented interns will be given significant responsibility early-on. We have a good track record of employing paid interns who have often gone on to be offered full time employment upon completion of their education.
The Data Scientist will work closely with the bidding, asset optimisation and operations teams to maximise the value of our electric vehicle fleet, batteries, charging infrastructure – as well as support broader business analytics. Example tasks include:
• Building and refining models that aim to understand vehicle, battery performance in function of various parameters such as driver behaviour, route topology, etc.
• Solving complex nonlinear problems to determine optimum charging strategies under varying constraints incl. parking layouts, grid limits, charger limitations, energy cost, weather, and other factors.
• Develop approaches to analyse and communicate sensitivities
• Building, testing, refining, and evaluating machine learning tools that extend value of company’s data lake
• Develop tool to understand and visualise flexibility and resilience of a chosen strategy and/or system under investigation
• Deep dives into competitor market strategies to better inform Zenobē’s own strategy
• Automated fault identification and reporting
• Supporting business development with innovative model creation and opportunity identification
• Data pipeline structuring
A job with Zenobē Energy means a job with the market leader in one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest growing sectors, gaining exposure to diverse roles and highly experienced partners. We are open to applicants from all academic areas, however the below skills and a strong interest in sustainability are essential.
Essential skills and competencies
A job with Zenobē Energy means a job with the market leader in one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest growing sectors, gaining exposure to diverse roles and highly experienced partners. We are open to candidates from all academic areas however first-class degree marks, the below skills and a strong interest in sustainability are essential.
• Significant experience Python programming (numpy, scipy, pandas, matplotlib, scikit-learn and other scientific libraries)
• Excellent mathematical ability
• Fluent in powerpoint, very strong with excel
• Experience in technology driven organisation in public transport, last mile delivery, logistics, travel, routing or fleet management
• Previous experience in a software engineering/data analyst role, in any industry
• Pragmatic, proactive and solution driven
• Able to thrive in a very fast-paced environment with large amounts of responsibility
• Excellent organisational skills, able to multi-task, meet deadlines and juggle competing demands with attention to detail and able to produce work of consistently high quality
• Excellent communication skills with a collaborative and consultative approach to working with others at all levels
• Creative problem-solver with ambition to play a major part in growing the business
• Ability to communicate algorithm design, performance metrics, and data analyses in written and oral reports
• The ideal candidate will have experience writing well-documented, maintainable, and extensible software and APIs.
• Proven ability to break down complex problems into manageable tasks
• Ability to work in multi stakeholder environment icl. Planning and prioritisation
• STEM background
Desirable but non-essential skills
• More general software engineering/computer science skills – (e.g. Linux, SQL, AWS and network design)
• Familiarity with operations research, machine learning, large data sets, advanced mathematics, or data analyses
• Experience with big data tools such as apache spark, or others
• CV screening
• Python test (one week to complete)
• First round interview centred around Python test
• Second round interview with head of asset optimisation business
• Final short interview with other company heads
All government guidelines regarding working practices will be followed therefore may involve working from home in addition to London office.
Zenobē Energy is a leader in fighting climate change through the innovative deployment of battery energy storage and electric vehicle fleet charging solutions. We offer driven, entrepreneurial, skillful and personable interns the opportunity to join a high-growth business in one of the world’s most exciting sectors, with excellent learning opportunities and the potential for equity participation in a successful company. We need a data analyst intern to help us expand and improve the company’s analytics capabilities as we continue to scale.
• 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
• Cycle to work scheme
• Medical insurance
• Season ticket loan
• Performance related bonus and company share plan
• Excellent opportunity for personal growth and responsibility.
We are committed to the principles of equal opportunity for all and prohibit discrimination of every type. We will always ensure that all persons are treated fairly irrespective of their race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, political beliefs, trade union membership or non-membership, marital, physical or mental status or any other factors including pregnancy and maternity. We will endeavour to provide those who have physical or mental disabilities with specific assistance and arrangements to enable them to work for us wherever and whenever this is reasonably practical.
Our company is fully committed to the elimination of unlawful and unfair discrimination and values the differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation. We will not discriminate because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We will not discriminate because of any other irrelevant factor and will build a culture that values meritocracy, openness, fairness, and transparency.
Applicants should send a copy of their CV and cover letter to [email protected]
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We empower businesses to combat climate change through the intelligent use of energy storage.