Divertor Team Leader
Abingdon, MD, USA
The commercialisation of fusion requires that a number of fascinating technical challenges are met. One of these is the divertor, a dedicated region designed to manage the plasma exhaust. The divertor must be able to handle high steady-state heat fluxes (of the order of 10MW/m2) and withstand increased loads during transient events; remove the helium ash created by the fusion process, minimise contamination of the plasma and be maintainable in a nuclear environment. We are looking for a team leader to manage a combination of in house and external resource to tailor existing and novel divertor designs to the specific needs of spherical tokamaks.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Build, and lead the divertor development team.
- Work with the Technology Development Director, other Technology group team leaders, Programme Managers and the tokamak Physics team to develop divertor system functional specifications.
- Identify a variety of concepts spanning novel to relatively mature technologies that might meet these specifications.
- Use sound scientific and engineering practice to guide and evolve Tokamak Energy’s divertor research and development strategy.
- Deploy numerical modelling and experimental validation as appropriate.
- Work with other team leaders to select the technology solutions for incorporation into protype reactors.
- Responsible for Divertor group line management
- Responsible for the management of collaborations with academic and commercial organisations
- Sufficient general technical knowledge to translate scientific objectives into sound engineering practice
- In depth knowledge of tokamak divertors
- Demonstrated track record of practical and innovative experience in a technology development environment
- Experience with technical risk assessment
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the health & safety requirements relevant to the role
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Degree in a physical science
- PhD in a physical science, or equivalent industrial experience
- Extensive experience of technical team leadership
- Knowledge of tokamak divertors (physics and/or engineering)
- Materials science and engineering
- High power density thermal management
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedules
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Bike to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to [email protected].
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.