Plasma Control Engineer/Physicist
Abingdon, MD, USA
We are currently seeking a plasma control engineer/physicist to join our plasma operations team, to contribute to the development of our plasma control system (PCS), and to help us push the limits of plasma performance in ST40 and future high-field STs.
This role will include
- Developing advanced plasma control solutions for ST-F1 and future fusion reactors
- Carrying out modelling related to plasma control of both ST40 and future devices
- Developing, testing, maintaining, and operating ST40 Pulse Scheduling System (PSS) and Plasma Control System (PCS)
- Participating in the planning, running, and analysis of experiments
- Working closely with internal and external collaborators
Essential selection criteria
- PhD in plasma control, control engineering, or closely related equivalent experience
- Familiarity with fusion plasma physics and/or tokamak experiments
- Experience applying control theory in practice
- Fluency in MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers and technicians
- Outstanding problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work efficiently on one’s own initiative
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience working in a research environment
- Familiarity with software development best practices
- Experimental data analysis experience
- Experience in programming languages such as Python/C/C++/Bash
- Willingness to develop existing and new collaborations
- Track record of scientific publications
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 year of service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months of service
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to [email protected].
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.